You may be hearing vpn proxy and you might think that they are the same since is all about browsing the internet anonymously, yes that’s the truth but there is a diffrence between them. And that’s why i came up with this post.
There’s one thing that you should know about a vpn, when you applied it to your internet connection, it changes your internet ip to the IP in the vpn. All your whole internet app will use the vpn connection during browsing, streaming etc, whilst a proxy is mainly applicable to a particular internet app usually a browser.
Many a time, when you use a proxy IP and port, it doesn’t change your IP address to its address like a vpn does. Even if you apply it to your local network settings, you will noticed that your location didn’t change at all. This is one big difference between vpn and proxy.
Some usually say vpn proxy but the truth is that they are two different words and also different meaning. It is not proper that you use them like they are one, either you say a vpn or a proxy(proxies) .
But to say vpn proxy is wrong as there’s nothing like that. Okay let’s take a look at the meaning of the two and also see the difference between them.
What is a vpn
Virtual private network popular called vpn is a programming that creates a safe and encrypted connection over a less secure network, such as the public internet. A VPN works by using the shared public infrastructure while maintaining privacy through security procedures and tunneling protocols.
A virtual private network, or VPN, extends across a public or shared network and acts like a tunnel so you can exchange data securely and anonymously across the internet as if you were connected directly to a private network.
When you connect to the internet via a VPN, all of your internet traffic is routed through an encrypted remote server.
A top-tier VPN service, like the Nord VPN, Express VPN, Turbo VPN has the following Pros
- Helps you avoid censorship blocks
- Masks your IP address
- Hides your physical location
- Encrypts data between your computer and the VPN server
- Does not log your browsing activity
- Allows you to access popular streaming services like Netflix and YouTube from other countries like the US Netflix, UK Netflix, Canada Netflix etc.
What is a Proxy
A proxy is a server that acts as a gateway between you and the internet. It’s an intermediary server separating end users from the websites they browse. Proxy servers provide varying levels of functionality, security, and privacy depending on your use case, needs, or company policy.
When using a proxy server, internet traffic flows through the proxy server on its way to the address you requested. The request then comes back through that same proxy server, and then the proxy server forwards the data received from the website to you.
You should know that a proxy server is basically like a computer on the internet with its own IP address that your computer knows. When you send a web request, your request goes to the proxy server first.
The proxy server then makes your web request on your behalf, collects the response from the web server, and forwards you the web page data so you can see the page in your browser.
There are several reasons people and some business owners use a proxy server. The Pros includes the following;
- To control internet usage of employees and people around: Individuals and some organizations set up proxy servers to control and monitor how their employees or people who use the internet. Most organizations don’t want you looking at specific websites on company time, and they can configure the proxy server to deny access to specific sites, instead redirecting you with a nice note asking you to refrain from looking at said sites on the company network. They can also monitor and log all web requests, so even though they might not block the site, they know how much time you spend cyberloafing.
- Bandwidth savings and improved speeds: Organizations can also get better overall network performance with a good proxy server.
- Privacy benefits: Individuals and organizations alike use proxy servers to browse the internet more privately. Some proxy servers will change the IP address and other identifying information the web request contains. This means the destination server doesn’t know who actually made the original request, which helps keeps your personal information and browsing habits more private.
- Improved security: Proxy servers provide security benefits on top of the privacy benefits. You can configure your proxy server to encrypt your web requests to keep prying eyes from reading your transactions. You can also prevent known malware sites from any access through the proxy server. Additionally, organizations can couple their proxy server with a Virtual Private Network (VPN), so remote users always access the internet through the company proxy. A VPN is a direct connection to the company network that companies provide to external or remote users. By using a VPN, the company can control and verify that their users have access to the resources (email, internal data) they need, while also providing a secure connection for the user to protect the company data.
- Get access to blocked resources: Proxy servers allow users to circumvent content restrictions imposed by companies or governments. Is the local sportsball team’s game blacked out online? Log into a proxy server on the other side of the country and watch from there. The proxy server makes it look like you are in California, but you actually live in North Carolina. Several governments around the world closely monitor and restrict access to the internet, and proxy servers offer their citizens access to an uncensored internet.
Diffrence Between Proxy and a VPN
Okay guys let’s see the major difference between the two anonymity tools, the vpn and the proxy.
Vpn proxy or a vpn and a proxy are the two greatest and best tools to use for anonymity, but the major difference between them is encryption which the proxy lacks so much.
Encryption is the process of encoding a message or information in such a way that only authorized parties can access it and those who are not authorized cannot.
Encryption does not itself prevent interference, but denies the intelligible content to a would-be interceptor. In an encryption scheme, the intended information or message, referred to as plaintext, is encrypted using an encryption algorithm – a cipher – generating ciphertext that can be read only if decrypted.
A Proxy only mask your real IP address and provides you any other IP address which lets you unblock some site. Your internet activities are not hidden because there is no encryption, it basically just bypasses your ISP and connect you directly to the internet.
While a VPN creates an encrypted tunnel to transfer all your internet data which keeps your activities away from isps.
A vpn especially a strong one like the express vpn, Nord vpn, provide an adequate and strong security measure and anonymity which makes it to unblock or bypass restricted sites blocked by a powerful firewall. This is the reason why you can stream on Netflix or other sites meant for top tier countries.
This, the proxy can’t provide that to you. Even the very strong proxy servers can’t stream on Netflix US, UK or Canada.
Vpn gives its users the option to choose or select their geographic location, but with proxy, you can’t get such. You will only use the location provided by the proxy server.
These three are the reasons why people now prefer to use a vpn over a proxy, your internet connection will be encrypted, ability to stream on Netflix and select your preferred geographic location.
I hope with this, you have understood the difference between a vpn and a proxy and there’s nothing like vpn proxy unless there’s an app that is reffered to that.